Britain’s Hard Left TrustafariansPosted on September 9, 2012
Funding is always a sticky issue for the main parties – but it seems it poses a bit of an ideological challenge for some of that small parties, too.
Looking through the Electoral Commission returns, the results filed by The Socialist Party of Great Britain jumped out.
If, like everyone else, you’ve never heard of the SPGB, they’re exactly what you’d expect. Fulminating against profit, slamming “tax dodges”, and advocating revolution from a garret on Clapham High Street.
They claim on their website that:
The Socialist Party has been unique in Britain throughout the twentieth century for:
- Consistently advocating world socialism – a fully democratic society based upon co-operation and production for use.
- Opposing every single war
- Opposing every single government
- Being a democratic and leaderless organization
- which is, if nothing else, admirably consistent. Consistent, that is, until you see that their main donation this year was apparently:
£26,757.56 from the May Keyte Will Trust
Err, the what?
A Trust? Surely not a tax-reducing Trust? A Will Trust? Surely not an inheritance-based tax-reducing Trust?